Before I met up with my boyfriend, my friend Selena and I stayed in a hostel/AirBnB in Puerto Morelos, where we had our own room. One night, the hostel owner waves me over to talk in private. “There is a mattress here for the other girl,” she whispers, looking around covertly. “Oh, we don’t mind…
Clues that Mazunte might be a weird hallucination I had on acid and not a real place:
1) It’s THAT cool and yet I’d never heard of it before
2) There’s vegetarian food in almost every restaurant (maybe you don’t care, but I care)
3) It’s on the beach but not expensive
4) Everyone is beautiful and half naked. Have I wandered into a movie set?
5) The town’s one bakery has the best baked goods I have ever tasted, and I’m saying that as someone who has lived in four different French cities
The walls of the bedroom were entirely wallpapered with nineties posters of Michael Jordan. A slight man with a shaved head greeted us, and brought out similar jars to the last place filled with hallucinogenic mushrooms floating in dark honey. It still looked revolting.
Being a woman with your boyfriend in small-town Mexico gives you a fun window into seeing what it would be like to be Bruce Willis’s character in The Sixth Sense.